Summer School Remote Sensing and its Oceanographic Applications Cotonou, Republic of Benin, 11- 17 October 2015
Published in : News
Organised by the International Chair in Mathematical Physics and Applications (ICMPA) and the Research Institute for Development (IRD).
Satellite observations are essential to monitor and study the oceans. They provide
an unmatched spatial and temporal coverage of such key oceanic variables as sea surface
temperature and salinity, sea level, ocean color and surface winds. Most ocean satellite
data are freely available on the web for research studies. The lectures will give an
overview of existing satellite products and their relevance to the physical and biological
oceanographic processes occurring in the tropical Atlantic. The main goal of the school is,
through hands-on training, to provide software tools and give technical skills to the
participants, to help develop marine research capabilities in African countries.
- Regional oceanography of the tropical Atlantic
- Data processing and visualisation with Python software
- Introduction to satellite oceanography
- Satellite altimetry and its applications
- Fisheries applications of teledetection
Lecturers: G. Alory (IRD/ICMPA, Cotonou, Benin), G. Alory (IRD/ICMPA, Cotonou, Benin), H. Demarcq (IRD, Sete,
France), N. Djath (LEGOS, Toulouse, France), F. Niño (IRD, Toulouse, France)
Coordinators: G. Alory (IRD/ ICMPA, Cotonou, Benin) and E. Baloitcha (ICMPA, Cotonou, Benin)
- The summer school is open to young African scientists, including students with at least MSc level, with a maximum of 20 participants.
- Participants are required to bring their laptop for hands-on training.
- Lectures will be in French and English.
- Limited funding is available.
Deadline for application: september 6th, 2015
Applicants are required to submit their CV, the filled applicant form (attached), a 1-page motivation letter and a supporting letter from their supervisor or institution in a message titled “summer school” to the coordinators at:
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com .